Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Inspiration by Trumpeldor!

"We need people ready to serve at all cost[s]... Is there a wheel lacking? I am that wheel. Nails, screws, a block? Take me. Must the land be dug? I will dig it. Are soldiers needed? I will enlist. Policemen, doctors, lawyers, teachers, water carriers? If you please, I am ready to do it all. I am not a person, I am the pure embodiment of service, prepared for everything. I have no ties. I only know one command: Build."
-Joseph Trumpeldor, the legondary one-armed officer, war hero, pioneer and symbol of Jewish self defense, in 1917, on his conception of the G'dud HaAvodah (Labor Battalion) plan for group employment.

Kinda makes you want to get up and expand a settlement, build an outpost... or at least plant a tree in your backyard!

The modern-day chalutzim who give daily of their bodies and souls to fight for our right to this land, are Trumpeldor's spiritual heirs. He was a living example of dedication to the growth and development of the land.

Did you know that Kiryat Shmona (Town of Eight) is named after Trumpeldor and the other seven men who were killed defending Tel Chai?

No comments: